Today we are not exempt from suffering an internet scams , which is the scam, fraud or deception that we suffer, through the computer. We already talked about how to report an online scam and what to do if you have been the victim of an online scam .
There are different types of scams on the internet, which circulate freely taking advantage of the anonymity and the ease of acting anywhere in the world and, from anywhere. Below we will mention the 10 most common scams, so that you can identify them and prevent you from falling into them, since the best way to avoid them is prevention and caution:
There are many online shopping websites, which really are not what they say, nor do they appear to be. They usually have the following characteristics:
- They offer imitation products, not original and, well below the market price.
- They are not safe sites.
- They send you a totally different product than the one they offered.
- They charge amounts higher than what appeared on the screen and sometimes they ask for an amount in advance, so that they can proceed to the management to start the purchase.
- They do not meet the delivery deadlines, or with information to be able to contact them, although they offer a standard form as bait and, to which they never respond. To avoid falling into this type of website, it may be helpful to consult how to know if a website is fraudulent and what to do.
- Phishing: it is the most common technique to steal personal information, (bank details and passwords, it is what interests them the most) since you receive in your mail an email posing as a prestigious company, to ask you to fill out a questionnaire and that they need certain data from you, because your account has been blocked, in order to carry out a transaction, receive a gift or any other excuse and, to be able to obtain it in order to have any benefit. We already talked about different types of Phishing and how to avoid it. In addition, as an evolution, there is Pharming, which is the improvement of phishing, using software that tracks the weaknesses of web pages, to send user data to their own servers of cybercriminals.
- Offer business opportunities working from home: they offer you to participate in a business with high profits and profitability, working from home. In the same way as in the previous one, they ask you to pay money in advance to work and invest in the business, but they do not give you the possibility of obtaining real, contrasted, valid and credible information on market studies, possible benefits or other details vitally important.
- Sentimental internet scam: they are carried out through web dating and they ask you to pay certain amounts to be able to meet in person with whom you are talking, or so that they can approach your city and have meetings.
- Fake loans: this fraud is usually offered on social networks and ads on various web pages, they facilitate quick access to loans of a certain amount of money, which seems easy to repay and, at a very low interest, but in reality it is not that simple or They have such a low interest and generally have very high closing clauses, even higher than the amount financed.
- Nigerian letter fraud, known as the 419 scam: these are ordinary emails or emails written in English, from Nigeria or another African country. The purpose is to get money by making you think that you are going to get a large amount of money, but first you have to cover certain expenses. They usually send you on the matter that you have won a national lottery prize from another country, which is highly unlikely that you participated
All kinds Of Scams
- Fake job offers: cybercriminals would have taken your data and sent you a succulent job offer according to your abilities, needs and immediate incorporation, but to be able to access the position you must pay in advance the expenses that your hiring entails. Under no circumstances should you pay to work. In the same way, many scams takes place.
- Fake grants and donations: Cybercriminals pose as charities and ask you to donate for natural damage, war, famine, epidemic, etc. To help in these actions, the most reliable thing is to go to international organizations with offices in your environment.
- Frauds of flats for rent: they offer you a rent flat according to your needs, after carrying out exhaustive analyzes of your searches, well located, renovated, lots of light, etc. at a reduced price. They usually tell you that they are living in another country and that what they are interested in is finding the right person who is responsible, more than the economic value, and in order to send you the keys and check your level of formality they need you to enter certain monthly payments. Of course, the keys never reach you, nor do you get a response, since everything disappears and they do not facilitate any type of contact.
- Frauds in social networks and WhatsApp: they use phishing techniques, sending them en masse by these applications.